Here’s a list of the small business legal services and information, as well as other small business advice, I can help you with. And if you’re a small business owner or a solopreneur and don’t see something on this list, please feel free to contact me to find out if I can help you.
And don’t worry! While there are a lot of issues listed here, it doesn’t mean you need to address them all for your particular business right now.
Business Entity Formation and Maintenance
- Evaluation of which business structure is right for you (e.g., sole proprietor, LLC, SMLLC, S-Corp)
- Formation of a new corporation or LLC
- Creating an operating agreement for your business structure
- Preparing annual meeting minutes
- LLC and S-Corp maintenance to ensure you keep your limited liability protection
Federal Compliance for Websites and Email Lists
- Website review to ensure that your site complies with FTC and FCC regulations
- CAN-SPAM Act compliance for your outgoing emails
- Website copyright protections and infringement issues
- Federal advertising regulations
- Contest Laws
Agreement/Contract Creation and Review
- Creation and/or review of your contract for services to your clients
- Creation and/or review of joint venture agreements
- Contract creation for independent contractors
- Review of contracts you enter into when you receive services
- Negotiation of agreement terms
Financial, Tax, and Insurance Issues
- Consultation with your CPA or bookkeeper (or you) to set up your bookkeeping system
- Setting up your financial records to help reduce tax liability
- Evaluation of insurance needs
- Evaluation of license and permit needs
Small business owners and solopreneurs are usually juggling a ton of issues. Often, legal protections and needs are put on the back burner until something comes up that requires immediate attention. I understand! As a solopreneur myself, I’ve also put a some things aside until they cried out for my attention.
So, again, don’t let the above list overwhelm you. It’s just a list of the business legal services you may want to consider at some point.
Comprehensive Business Audit
Not sure if your business is legally protected or if you’re doing everything you could to grow and protect your business?
A Comprehensive Business Audit will give you peace of mind knowing exactly where your business stands and what further actions, if any, are required to get your small business on a solid foundation.
In this audit, we closely evaluate your legal, financial, tax, and insurance needs to ensure that your business is fully protected, and we come up with a game plan for any additional actions that should be taken.
How and Where We Can Work Together
In my world, gone are the days of cold impersonal relationships between lawyers and their clients. Been there, done that, and it’s no fun! A collaborative relationship (a “partnership” of sorts) with your attorney, and other professionals you hire, help make the world a better place, and equally important, serves you and your business best.
I believe in listening to you and what you want to achieve, then designing the perfect business legal services plan to help you accomplish your goals. I take the time to listen so that I can better serve and support you. So if you contact me for legal information or services, I’ll ask you a lot of questions. I want to be able to propose the best solutions to help you protect and grow your small business.
I’m based in Berkeley, California, and all my work is done “virtually.” That means I can help you wherever you are in California and you save travel time and cost. We work together via the phone and/or Skype.
Fees for Small Business Legal Services
There probably isn’t a person on the planet who isn’t concerned about the clock ticking and the bill getting bigger every time they talk to their lawyer. This is no way to build a working relationship!
So instead of hourly rates, I offer unique recurring plans that allow clients to receive more services for less money than if they were paying me by the hour. And because every client’s needs are unique, it’s not possible to quote one amount here. I’d be happy to talk to you one-on-one about your specific needs and my recurring plans in more detail.
No more hourly rate pressures! Let’s talk about your vacation to Hawaii without you worrying about being charged for the time we chat!
I also handle flat fee projects on occasion for clients who aren’t ready for a recurring plan, or who may not know me well enough yet to commit to a recurring plan to help protect and grow their business.
Call me at (510) 495-0445 so we can set up a time to talk about your business needs and how I can serve you, or use the Contact page on my site to get in touch with me.
And remember, if you write or call me, don’t leave any confidential or sensitive personally identifiable information.
I look forward to hearing from you and learning about your business and your contributions to the world!